Posted on 2016-02-12 by Author Admin
When it comes to building your own home, there are quite a number of decisions you have to put into consideration concerning the overall look of your house both in and out. One of the most challenging choices you have to make is selecting the ideal garage door. Garage doors are found in various materials which include steel, wood, aluminum, and vinyl. Wooden garage doors have been a popular choice in most homes for quite a long period of time. This is due to their longevity, durability and technical aspects and their overall visual appeal. Outlined are the pros and cons of wooden garage doors that will help you decide whether they are an ideal choice for you.
Pros of wooden garage doors:
1. They always meet your specifications and preferences since they are custom built.
2. They can be built in such a way that they can fit any garage regardless of shape or size.
3. They can easily be created or even adjusted to be in a position to accommodate those non-level garage floors.
4. The fact that they are custom made makes them have quite a unique and attractive look.
5. Wooden garage doors uniquely complement homes that have an exterior finishing of natural materials like wood board siding, stone, logs or cedar shingles.
6. Wooden garage doors do not dent or crack like aluminum, steel or vinyl doors.
7. They are earth-friendly since they are from a renewable source.
8. You can find natural material treatments that assist in increasing the doors longevity by ensuring that they are protected from distorting, decomposing and bending.
9. Wooden garage doors are easily repairable since all you have to do is repair or replace the damaged panel or portion instead of the entire garage door.
10. Just like other garage doors made from other materials, wooden garage doors can also be operated automatically or manually.
11. Wood acts as an effective sound barrier, it can reduce noise pollution more than any other garage door material. Wooden garage doors are an ideal choice for people living along busy streets or in a noisy neighborhood.
12. Wood can withstand intense temperature changes and can also serve as an insulator against cold and heat.
13. You can easily repaint wooden garage doors in the future, giving them an attractive new look.
Cons of Wooden garage doors:
1. They are quite costly to build. Making them pricier than other garage doors made from other materials.
2. It is not easy to come across wooden garage door manufacturers.
3. Since wooden garage doors are custom build in nature, they have to be custom ordered. They require ample building time. Therefore, you cannot find readily available wooden garage doors in home improvement stores or lumber yards.
4. Wooden garage doors are quite heavy and they require an appropriately sized garage door opener as well as springs that can be in a position to effectively move the doors weight.
5. Regular garage door maintenance is advised so as to avoid damages like rotting and so on. Wooden garage doors can be quite costly to maintain.
6. Wooden garage doors are not ideal for homes near beaches or rainy areas. Your garage door may swell resulting to challenges in opening your door.